Welcome

Welcome to Briarly Hill!

These are the musings and ponderings of the Artist from Briarly Designs, an online store of unique, handmade, sterling silver jewelry. I invite you to check out some of the pieces I've made and let me know what you think. Go to: www.briarlydesigns.com

Enjoy!

P.S. - A lot of people come here looking for the whimsical "Shipping & Returns" policy my husband wrote. If you don't see it below, you'll find it in the archives under July 5, 2007.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Goat pee

I dyed last week. No, i did not misspell nor am I speaking from the grave. You see in my alternate life i am a fibre artist. (Yes, i prefer the European spelling, as in theatre and fairie) I bought some fresh mohair from Tralfarm and anxiously brought it home. Stuck at home do to transportation constraints I decided to dye. I had never dyed mohair before, and given the freedom to save time and dye "in the grease" (not washing first) I dove in. Here are several things i learned :
1. Do not dye fresh mohair on a rainy day when you can't open the windows.
2. No number of candles can cover the ripeness of goat in your house.
3. Watching your 17 yr old son run from the house holding his nose while screaming "what smells like goat pee?"...priceless!
Now i have beautiful colored mohair, ready to spin and a house thankfully that has been aired out.

No comments: