Welcome

Welcome to Briarly Hill!

These are the musings and ponderings of the Artist from Briarly Designs, an online store of unique, handmade, sterling silver jewelry. I invite you to check out some of the pieces I've made and let me know what you think. Go to: www.briarlydesigns.com

Enjoy!

P.S. - A lot of people come here looking for the whimsical "Shipping & Returns" policy my husband wrote. If you don't see it below, you'll find it in the archives under July 5, 2007.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Adventures in silk, part 1






So, one of my goals is to learn how to spin silk. Honestly one of my first questions was; who stood by a mulberry tree in Japan, saying " i wonder what this white thread is coming out of this worms butt, i think i will spin it and make a shirt." Seriously! I decided i wanted to spin silk from several different methods; cocoon, roving, and rods. Over the last several months i have acquired some silk. The roving i bought at the Shenandoah fiber festival in October from The Flock Bransonas www.bransonas.com Beautiful colors of blue, green and purple. It was a dream to spin, I probably shouldn't have started with it, i don't want to spin anything else!

1 comment:

Topsy and Havoc said...

haha nice. a shirt out of a worms butt! i love it.